Online Art ‘Themed’ Competition
SMASH! Online Art Competition 2019: Yokai
Submissions open until: 12:00 pm Sunday, 14 July, 2019.
This year, SMASH! mascots Skadi and Cyrus have entered the chilling world of Yōkai!
Various ghosts and monsters have long been described in Japanese folklore, and their forms and habitats range from the household to the godly. Whether it’s a bewitching yuki onna in the middle of winter, a calamitous oni wreaking havoc on a metropolis, or a mischievous kitsune stealing a bite of tofu – amaze us with your imaginations for the SMASH! Art Competition 2019!
Illustrated entries of all mediums are accepted, so sharpen those pencils and remember to hit save regularly! Show us how Skadi and Cyrus interact with the mysteries of Japanese yōkai!
Who are Skadi and Cyrus? Find their profiles and plenty of reference pictures on our mascots page.
Want to know more about yōkai? Here are some places to start:
- yokai.com – An online English resource of Japanese ghosts and monsters
- Wikipedia entry on yōkai.
- Tofugu blog entries on yōkai.
- Best Overall: Grand prize
- Guest’s Favourite: Chosen by one of our SMASH! guests
- Traditional Art: Winner, Runner-up
- Digital Art: Winner, Runner-up
- Execution: technical expertise and mastery of the medium you are using.
- Concept: originality of your concept in adherence to the given theme.
- Aesthetics: how well your skill is applied to illustrate your concept and the overall visual appeal of your work.
Specific Judging Criteria
- Includes SMASH! mascots Skadi and Cyrus within the artwork.
- Has visual reference to the art theme, Yōkai.
- Involves artist’s creativity and imagination based around the theme.
- Adheres to General Terms & Conditions with specifics to PG rating policy. (T&C can be found below)
Special Guest Judging: Mizushima Seiji
Those who submit their art before 12pm Friday, 12 July 2019 will be eligible to have their submission judged by none other than the legendary Animation Director: Mizushima Seiji! Mizushima-san will select one submission for the ‘Guest’s Favourite’ prize and will also provide feedback for his selected artwork, in accordance with the judging criteria!
General Terms and Conditions
Please note, when submitting your artwork online with your details, you are agreeing to our General Terms and Conditions.
SMASH! is a PG event, and all entries to the SMASH! Art Competition 2019 must adhere to this rating. Entries may not feature pornographic, sexually explicit or suggestive material, full-frontal or tasteless nudity, extreme violence or gore.
Display and use of artwork
Entries received for the competition may be on display within the convention over the course of SMASH! 2019, as well as during the prize winners announcement.
Artworks submitted to the SMASH! Art Competition 2019 may be featured on SMASH! marketing, website and social media platforms. Any artworks featured will be fully credited to the artist.
Any personal information collected during the submission process is kept strictly confidential and will not be disclosed or used outside of SMASH! Art Competition 2019 procedures.
- Please ensure that your artworks have been saved, photographed or scanned clearly.
- Please name the file with your ‘ArtistName_ArtworkTitle’.
- Files should be no more than 5MB large.
- Preferred file formats are .JPG, .PNG or .PDF.
When you have your artwork ready for submission, please click on the submission link on our website and follow these steps:
- Complete all details such as your name, email address and postal address within the Google Form where required. In the event of an absentee winner at the Awards Ceremony, prizes will be posted after confirming these details.
- On the second page of the form there will be a link to our ‘SMASH! Art Competition Submissions’ Dropbox, where you may upload your artwork. Please fill in the same name and email address as you have in the Google Form when submitting your artwork to our Dropbox.
- When uploading your image of submission please only submit ONE image file for this SMASH! Art Competition. We do not accept two or more submissions from the same entrant. Should there be two or more submissions from one entrant, we will only accept the first submission.
- The moment you have submitted your artwork to our Dropbox you will receive an automated notification from Dropbox of your successful submission. Please read and tick the checkboxes on the Google Form when you have successfully submitted your artwork.
- Once you have finished filling in your details and uploading your submissions, please submit the Google Form.
If you have any inquiries regarding submissions, please send an email to our Art Competitions Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org