Choose up to two (2) of the settings, and choose one (1) of the quotes provided below, to use as inspiration for your fan fiction.
- An Orphanage
- A Battlefield
- At the Fireworks
- At a Cake Shop
- “I sometimes think that people’s hearts are like deep wells. Nobody knows what’s at the bottom. All you can do is imagine by what comes floating to the surface every once in a while” – Haruki Murakami, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (2006)
- “From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached” – Franz Kafka, The Trial (1925)
- “There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one” – Kazuo Ishiguro (2001)
Fan Fiction Competition Guidelines
- Competition is open to Australian and International Participants.
- Entries must be submitted in English.
- Entries must be submitted to https://forms.gle/1Uk589BMmpPmA4at5 by 11:59PM (AEST) Friday 19th July 2019.
- All entries must be entirely the author’s own work.
- Entries must have a maximum of a ‘PG13’ rating, as defined by the Australian Classification Board. Entries that are deemed to have exceeded the rating of ‘PG13’ will not be considered.
- Entries must incorporate one or more anime, manga or Japanese game’s characters and/or stories. Subsequent crossovers with non-Japanese media are permitted.
- Entries in the SMASH! 2019 Fan Fiction Competition will have between 2,000 and 5,000 words. Entries outside the word limit may be penalised at the judges’ discretion.
- Entries must incorporate the prompt supplied as inspiration.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. Entries found to be published prior to release of competition results may be disqualified at the judges’ discretion.
- SMASH! reserves the right to disqualify or penalise any entry that does not fully comply with the guidelines as above, and the terms and conditions of SMASH!.
- SMASH! reserves the right to retain and use entrant’s pieces for future use within SMASH!. All credit for its contents and writing will be retained by the original creator(s) and/or author(s).
- SMASH! will not be held responsible for the entrants’ use of copyrighted or illegal material.
- Entries will be submitted by the Google Form; Link below
- Entries must be submitted in .doc format.
- Entrant must provide the following details with their submission to be eligible for prizes;
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Location (Country)
- Contact Number
- Series’ Incorporated
- Word Count
- Disclaimer: All creative rights to characters and properties belong to their original creator(s)
- 50 Word Summary
Entries will be judged by an internal SMASH! panel based on, but not limited to the following criteria;
- Incorporation of the setting(s) and prompt
- Quality of writing